Last weekend Handy Husband and I tore into our last big project in our little farmhouse, the bedroom.
Of the three bedrooms, this one presented the largest challenge. So far, we have completely gutted the bathroom, changed everything but the kitchen sink in the kitchen, installed flooring in the entire house, and painted every single wall in the house. We renovated the other two bedrooms prior to moving in. We have other plans for the room we use as a bedroom. I always intended it as a temporary bedroom, and we have finally taken on the last major project!
This room has great natural light and a fabulous view. That is about where I run out of positive things to say about it! The bedroom is an addition to the original house. Two of the walls contain old exterior siding, complete with the exterior eves hidden under awkward framing and fancy ceiling tile that covers most, but not quite all, of the very low ceiling. The floor is 17 inches lower than the floor in the rest of the house requiring two steps down. The transition where the door opens leaves a little to be desired. There is a square without ceiling rafters covered in wood paneling. When we moved in this patchwork linoleum was covered by smelly carpet which we promptly ripped up.
The boards stacked in this room are the remaining floorboards which will go down in this room. Since these photos were taken, we have completely taken everything down to the studs and the concrete slab foundation. Once we cleaned everything up, including a particularly colorful mouse nest filled with color crayons, I was very encouraged. I have spent the last few days putting together a plan I am pretty excited about!
Much more to come…